Awnings- all you need to know
What is an awning?
Awnings are canopies that can be rolled out to provide shade and shelter to an area. The retractable arms are made to provide plenty of support negating the need for legs leaving an unobstructed shaded space beneath the canopy. When retracted, the canopy is rolled into a cassette so all that is visible is a neat, discrete 'tube' on the wall.
How do they work:
Awnings can be either manually or electronically operated.
The manual awnings are operated by rotating a hand crank, this unrolls the fabric and simultaneously allows the arms to extend. The arms sit in a 'V' shape beneath the canopy fabric that gets stretched and compressed as the canopy is extended and retracted.
Electric awnings are operated using a remote, a simple press of the button and the electric mechanism will extend or retract the arms of the awning taking the fabric with it.
Why we love them:
-With 90% UV rating (99% UVB radiation) they provide the perfect shade and protection for your outdoor space allowing you to really make the most of your garden. You can dine in comfort, children can play outside safely and your produce will remain fresh in your shop.
- The fabric is made from 100% dyed in the mass acrylic fibres providing colour fastness against strong sunlight and weather.
- The fabric is treated so it is resistant to water, dirt, oil, grease, algae and mould.
-They are designed and manufactured in the UK.
-They comply with EN standard 13561:2009.
-Awnings come with a 2 year warrantee and motors a 5 year manufacturers guarantee.
Choosing your awning:
- Choose your fabric to suit the mood you require. Yellows and oranges create a warming environment where blues and greens set a cooling, calming tone.
- You can upgrade the material to waterproof fabric, recommended for commercial settings for extra protection for your customers.
- Do you want a valance? They are available in straight, wavy or none.
- Do you need a logo printed on the canopy? Specialist printing services are available.
-Outdoor seating areas- for home or commercial cafes and restaurants.
-Outdoor play spaces for children- great for education establishments.
-Above windows of rooms that get a lot of direct sunlight.
Looking after your awning:
Awnings require very little maintenance but it is worth doing a visual check each time you open or close them. Check that the fabric is rolling straight and flat and that the arm mechanism is functioning smoothly.
To clean the arm frame and cassette, use a soft brush and warm water with a mild detergent is needed.
To clean the fabric, use a soft brush. If necessary, warm water can be used but do not use any form of detergent as this may erode the teflon coating on the fabric.
Leave the canopy fully open until all parts are fully dry.
If you are interested in an awning for your home or work place, get in touch to arrange a free, no obligation measuring and consultation appointment.